Image Source – http://whymillennialsmatter.com/
When we tell people to do their jobs, we get workers. When we trust people to get the job done, we get leaders – Simon Sinek
Image Source – http://whymillennialsmatter.com/
Social networking phenomenon revolutionises the recruitment experience for both candidates and employers. Companies are rethinking their social media strategies to make recruiting processes more transparent and to tap into and engage with the talent pools. More and more companies are on the lookout for know how on how to leverage social networking sites eg Facebook, LinkedIn to advertise jobs, increase brand awareness, showcase Company culture and provide a glimpse to candidates about the working environment, growth , learning, career and development opportunities.
Both candidates and employers are using the digital footprints to research about each other and find data points for better decision making. Hiring can be viewed as a Match making process . More the data points, assumption is, better would be the decision ie final outcome for both employers and candidates.
In my experience, I see 2 kinds of recruiters & hiring managers. On one end of spectrum, we have recruiters who has invested in self learning , acquired new skills to use social networking for sourcing, engagement, building relationships with candidates. On other end of spectrum , few hiring managers & recruiters are wondering and still pondering over the risks. Social networking adoption Benefits far outweigh the risks, ask any candidate or HR Professional who has reaped benefits from this new medium. Technology is neutral. A fool with a tool is still a fool. Recruiters and hiring managers must enhance their understanding on the value Social media and social networking adoption and invest in self education and self learning. They must learn from recruiters who are using Facebook graph search, Linkedin recruiters license and reaping great benefits to minimise agency dependency and reduce costs & generate value for organisation with fewer resources. They are the ones who are innovating on the field. These recruiters understand Social Recruiting . Social Recruiting as a concept is relatively new. Talent can not be hired, it can only be courted.Go figure – how. Simply put, Hiring in other words , is a long & extended conversation. For hiring managers, Hiring is about channel mix too. Employee Referrals is another process which can be disrupted using the social networking platforms. Much scope to bring Efficiencies and Effectiveness into the Hiring process and to disrupt the existing models and evolve new Hiring Models. Employer Branding has nuances and implications understood by the privileged few. Employer Branding and Social Recruiting is bound to witness growth in coming years.
Sage advice from Social Business gurus ~ Get Social. Do business
As Dr Marshall Goldsmith says ~ what got you here! won’t get you there.
If you are still wondering why, what, how ..then remember, Self education is the key. Follow and Learn from Thought Leaders. . I tweet and share insightful stuff on Social HR through twitter (@rucsb) and my blog ~ HR Gurukul.
What IBM Recruitment is upto –
1. Integrated Social approach to ATS ( Applicant Tracking System)
2. Employee Referral Program empowered by Social Referrals
3. ROI of Social Recruitment measured through Influenced and Direct Social Hires
4. Hiring Processes enabled & powered through Analytics
5. HR Leaders Rely on Data than on Gut. Better Decision Making on part of HR Leaders. Improved Business outcomes.
3 Key Actionables to get started on Social HR (Recruitment) Journey
1. Invest time in building your own Linkedin and Twitter Profile.
2. Socially Network with Thought Leaders in Social Recruitment
3. Invest in your Learning and Development. Join IndiaHRLive, IndiaHRChat, TChat, SocialHRSuccess discussions on twitter . Connect with & Learn from HR Leaders and Practitioners. Learn about Social HR from Meghan M Biro, Abhijit Bhaduri, Khalid Raza, Gautam Ghosh , Self Promotion Alert : Ruchi Bhatia
I can be contacted via twitter @rucsb
1. Catch ’em young. (Newcomers )
2. Learn how to fish ( What we won’t teach you but expect you to learn )
3. The Art ~ not to loose sight of “People Equation ” while managing business
4. The perpetual debate ~ Great Managers /Leaders are born or made ? Fit versus Flexibility approach
5. Plenty of opportunities ~ ~ Globally connected people’s economy
key skill required ~ Imagination
6. Let’s talk beyond compensation – what motivates ~ Autonomy, Mastery, Purpose ( Daniel Pink’s video on Ted Talk – surprising truth about motivation )
7. Chuck the 3 year 5 year Career plan .Allow room for new experiences, improvisation and serendipity .
8. Belongingness ? ~ Join communities of interest to stay current on an industry
9. Mantra for success – Don’t be shy to ask for help , Volunteer to share your expertise , Help a newbie Succeed, Professional giveback .
10. Leaders are not afraid to follow. Be both a follower & a Leader.
Peter Senge must be very happy with the growth and proliferation of Social Media and social networking platforms. After all , the gentleman pioneered the concept of Learning Organization decades back in 1994
Let me take this concept of Learning organization to next level.
To my mind, in future the word organization would be replaced by word “Networks “.Let me highlight Key characteristics of Learning networks
1. Mashup of people with diverse skills, experience, competencies and capabilities
2. Woven into a matrix to solve key business issues / challenges on real time basis.
3. Real time Flow of information & valuable content embedded in context.
4. Co creating and consuming value together to achieve aligned business goals and objectives
5. Enabling participation and contribution and transparency on solid foundation of systems thinking.
6. Powered by Analytics for meaningful callouts, opportunity areas, insights to make it an iterative process.