Few Learning from the video ” Changing Education Paradigms”
1. Every country is reforming public education system for 2 reasons
a) economic – how do we prepare our children for new century
b) cultural – how do we preseve cultural identify in a flat , globalized world
2. Raise standards of education system ,really, we should, why should you lower them ? ( laughter)
3.Problem is Current system of education system was designed, conceived, structured for a different age ,
4. Conceived in economic circumstances of industrial revolution,before 19 century no public education systems,
public education was paid for by taxation, compulsory to everyone, free at point of delivery was a revolutionary idea,
many people objected to it , they said its not possible that street kids who are not able to read and write will not benefit from it and why should we spend time on it ? assumptions
about social structures capacity , This created we-versus them mentality.
5. Model of education system was based on economic and intellectual pillars. Driven by economic imperative of the time.
6. Real intelligence consisted in certain type of deductive reasoning & knowledge of classics what we come to think of it as academic ability
7. Consequence of that is many briliant people think they are not smart ( if they are not academic/ intellectual )
1. Modern Epidemic is fictitious , ADHD is a non real epidemic in US ?
2. Divergent Thinking is a precursor to creativity
3. Collaboration is the key to success outside schools
4. Schools still run on production line approach suited to industrial age.
5. Change is required in public education systems around the globe which nurtures creativity, natural abilities of children to suit the information age
6. Can we make our learning process so engaging which enhances aesthetic experience of the learner ?
7. Why do we still categorize students as per their age group or tenure not as per their abilities ?
How Does Enterprise Social Networking Change the Role of Learning Professionals?
Enterprise Social networking platforms have the power not just to change the way how people do their jobs but also how jobs roles are getting evolved for professionals especially in the Learning organization.
If we talk to any learning leader today, one of the biggest opportunity is integrating technology for effective learning. Web 2.0 provides ample opportunities to do that. Learning professionals need to resort to innovative methods to complement formal learning events so that learner’s performance on the job goes up.
Generation Y is entering into the workforce who has grown up using the emerging technologies. They are the digital natives and like to embrace social media and social networking technologies with ease. People like to connect and learn from one another. According to US Dept of labor and commerce 80% of the learning happens informally, outside the classroom .Social learning or informal learning is one of the oldest forms of learning being propelled and catalyzed even more due to rising social networking platforms. I can safely say that Social learning is increasingly becoming prevalent. The role learning professionals can play in this changing context and environment is very critical and important.
I’d like to take a little more time here to start a discussion about how I expect individual job roles in the learning organization to change as social learning becomes increasingly common.
At the same time, I think that it’s really important for learning professionals to remember that despite new emerging technologies, formal learning continue to play a role in enhancing business performance. We, learning professionals, must think how we can strengthen existing learning process and embed the new Social learning process into existing learning programs, courses or curriculum as we ourselves witness a Social revolution both within and outside the organization.
Taking the larger context of formal and informal learning in a socially networked world, learning professionals have the opportunity to play a critical role: that of a community facilitator and / or community curator.
Community design is such that it puts the focus back on learners/ workers. The job of community facilitator isn’t necessarily an easy one – team will have to continuously ask the right questions and find new ways to encourage participation. As a matter of fact, learning organization most likely already has the skills and capabilities needed to serve as effective community facilitators – they just need to apply these capabilities towards a new way of thinking about learners and the learning process.
I believe the solution to existing challenges faced by learning organization lies in thinking how our role as learning professionals change with the changing demands , learning styles and preferences of our learners/workers. Facilitator’s role must evolve from being on stage to a virtual guide by side. 🙂
By now you must have already heard of Twitter , which has taken the Social Media world by storm or already using it , If the answer is NO to any of the above, then you must be living under rock age.
Well, as educators, many a times , when we are helping learners to use the online technologies, we need to share screencasts with them. Screenr does a brilliant job in capturing screencasts upto 5 min with audio feature to be posted on Twitter or You tube.
1. Screenr is a Web basec recorder, you dont need to download anything.
2. It can be used either with Mac or PC.
3. Plays anywhere on Web, even iphone.
4. Moreover,it is free.
Relatively simple tool to educate learners to use Social Media sites, and tools , who are new to google reader, tweetdeck. It can be used to deliever simple 5 min powerful learning. Like using a google reader, using a tweetdeck for twitter and so on.
Share with me your thoughts as to how you would like to use screenr in your job .
Please see this 2 min 30 sec demo of Screenr without audio to see how a tweetdeck can be used to find blog posts of your interest.